Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Running in the Zone

Most runs are just runs.  There is nothing super special about them.  Parts are great, parts are lots of work, and parts I just wish would end and end quickly.  Funny how running mirrors life so much!!  Every once in a while there is that special day where everything clicks and everyone is happy.  This rarely happens for an entire day in my house so I am happy with periods of time.  This also has rarely happened for me lately while running.  Most of my runs have either been like death or felt like too much work.  I worry regularly that my legs are just going to be too tired to run this marathon.  Today gave me a little hope that all will be good!

I was scheduled to run 3 easy, 6 at 8:23 pace, and 3 easy.  It was a great morning to run.  It was 42 degrees when I set out at 6am.  The sun was starting to rise.  It was a lovely, peaceful morning.  I had a good attitude about my speed work.  I was excited to run that pace.

I ran the first 3 super easy...just shy of 30 minutes.  I picked up the pace to what felt challenging, but at the same time easy.  I looked at my watch and it read 8:15 pace.  That made me happy!  The miles were ticking by and feeling easy.   I had to focus, but nothing like speed work.  As I neared 6 miles, I decided to run 2 more miles at GMP and one mile cool down.  This was not the plan, but I knew this was what I needed to do today.  I could have kept up this pace for longer and that was super encouraging to me.  I know the cool morning was a factor, but I also felt strong today! 

My splits were those 8 miles were
8:16
8:19
8:17
8:13
8:13
8:12
8:20
8:13

My last mile was nice and easy for a total run time of 1:45! 

My marathon is in 6 weeks and I am running a half in 3 weeks.  I have 4 weeks left to prepare and then it is taper time!

Today I am thankful for:
1.  Being able to teach Sunday School on a rotating basis.  I love my preschoolers and enjoy my time with them. 

2.  Homemade apple pie---thank you Mom and Emma.  It was amazing!!!


3.  A wonderful piano concert at church tonight.  Umi Garrett performed.  She is a 12 year old piano prodigy.  She was cute and a delight to watch.  Her music was beautiful!

4.  Volunteering to help with crafts at Christmas Choir Camp.  I was able to help the kiddos make the Advent Daily Countdown Banners and visit with friends at the same time.  The craft is super cute and I can't wait for Emma and Jonah to bring it home!

5.  Watching the Texans with Emma.  I hope she starts to love football as much as I do!  I know she wanted them to win (they did) for the free slush, but she was still watching!

Today's picture is of my crazy Jonah who LOVES to climb trees and swing from the branches. 



No comments:

Post a Comment