Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Last Long Run before the Big Day!

This weekend I was scheduled to run 12 today with 6 miles at race pace and then 6 tomorrow.  I decided on Thursday that I wanted to run another long run.  I missed a 12 mile run while I was sick.  Last week's 20 mile was a hodge podge of miles and it did not feel like a long run.   So, on a whim I asked my coach and she gave me her blessing. 

I knew the run would be tough.  As I have said many times, I do not run well in warm and humid weather.  Today was of course warm and humid.  Why in mid December can it not feel like December is a mystery.  Today is was 72 degrees when I left home at 7am.  Thankfully it was mostly overcast.  I did have the pleasure of running in rain, in sun, through mud, and against wind.  The conditions were pretty much horrible in my opinion.  I am praying that I have used up all my bad weather luck!

So, as for the run it was tough!  I knew almost immediately I was going to struggle.  My legs were tired and I thought they were pretty rested.  The first 3 miles passed quickly although slowly.  I tried to pick up the pace for the next 6 miles without much success.  I did speed up, but I did not hit race pace.  My legs were having no part of it.  My splits were 8:29, 8:30, 8:31, 8:27, 8:29, and 8:33.

After that 6 decided there was no way I would run 9 more.  I was pretty much miserable and hot.  Then I thought I am hot, covered in mud, and already running.  Why not finish what I started out to do?  So, I did.  I ran two slower miles and then picked up the pace a little.  I was feeling somewhat better and I finished strong.
Yeah, that was my moving as fast as possible pace for the last part of a mile.  I wish I could run that fast for 18 miles.  My pace for the run averaged 9:15.  That is much more like me!

My time was 2:46.40 and I worked for every mile.  The last time I ran 18 miles my time was 2:45.xx and I felt like I was floating.  I loved that run.  I still think about how great that run was.  I pray that marathon day feels more like floating and less like full on pain.

As for the mud, around mile 3.5 I stepped in a huge muddy patch of grass.  My shoes were so white and pretty.  A little disclaimer....I prefer gray sneaks with color, but I got these super cheap on The Clymb so I could not pick my color.  My first thought was to go home and change my shoes.  My foot was so wet and I hate mud.  Then I realized that was dumb and I should just keep running.  Look at how gross my sneakers are now...
I spent 14+ miles with all this mud on my legs....YUCK!  I had wiped some of it off.
I know this may not seem like a big deal, but I hate mud.  I will sweat with anyone, but dirt and mud are not my thing!

The best part of my run today was seeing this....
It says Pray For Newton.  The entire intersection was covered in prayerful sayings and it stopped me dead.  I had to stop and read what was written.  I was pretty much overwhelmed with emotion at that point.  I was tired and hot and then just so sad.  Those sweet babies have been in my thoughts almost constantly since yesterday morning.  People are evil...some people are evil.  But, I believe in the goodness of God.  I am just going to hug my babies some more and a little tighter!

Despite this being a tough run and not quite the confidence booster I hoped it would be, overall it was positive.  I fully decided not to carry water during the marathon.  My arm swing is too high when I wear my hydration belt and it is uncomfortable.  I will use what is on the course.  I have had issues with taking GU.  My stomach gets a little upset and I am just having a harder time taking it.  I don't know what to do about this.  At this point I can't really change my plan, but I may rethink things for The Woodlands. 

Finally, I know I can survive a marathon in any weather.  If it is warm I may end up walking.  That is okay.  If it is cool, I know I can run the entire thing.  My goal for this marathon was to run a 3:40.  I just don't think I am in shape for that and I am okay with that.  I will run my heart out to get the best time possible.  I still have big dreams, but I don't think I am there yet.  Maybe March!



No comments:

Post a Comment