Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bucket List---Our Hodge Podge Dinner

Another one of the items on our Summer 2013 Bucket List is a Hodge Podge dinner.  I cannot take credit for this idea.  Emma told me all about it after watching an episode of Kate Plus 8 way back when.  Basically each child receives a dinner category, picks the food of his/her choice, helps me grocery shop, and then helps make that items.  It is a very fun and interactive way to prepare a meal.  We don't do this too regularly because the meals tend to be a little crazy, but that is part of the fun!

Our categories were drink, appetizer, vegetable, fruit, meat, and dessert.  Meat is easier to understand for my kiddos than main dish.  Everyone picked an item from a hat and was allowed one trade.  We ended up with this arrangement...
Drinks--Drew
Appetizer--Jonah
Vegetable--me
Fruit--Elena
Meat--Emma
Dessert--Samuel

After some trading, thinking, and looking at cookbooks we had this menu...
Homemade Lemonade
Deviled Eggs
Beet and Carrot Slaw
Raspberries and Blueberries
Ribs
Popsicles

This was amazingly yummy!!!
I added some other veggies as well which is kind of against the rules.  No one minded!

Since we had this meal the day after we said good-bye to Yuengling Drew and I honored her with a little Yuengling at dinner.  We named her after our favorite beer.  I am so glad we brought some back with us from Florida.  I have to say that Drew kind of hates when I take pictures of us with my phone and so we are laughing ourselves silly or at least I am.  I don't know why it bothers him so much.
Excuse my after pool look
Two things down and many more to go, but we are having lots of fun in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment