Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Sunday, June 30, 2013

6 Months of Running in Review

I cannot believe that tomorrow is July 1st.  Half the year is in the rear view mirror....crazy!  When 2013 began I did not have many specific running goals.  I wanted to renew my love for running.  I wanted to run a strong marathon in March.  I figured I would just figure out the rest after that.  Well, one out of two is not bad!  So, this post is entirely for me so move along if running is not interesting to you!

I did not realize how much I disliked running last fall.  I think it all began with my broken toe last June.  I should have taken time off to heal and did not.  I mostly pushed through it and when I started marathon training in August...ugh!  There was just no joy in my runs and it all felt like work.  It was ugly for five months.  My New Year's Day marathon was more than awful for many reasons.  Seven days later I started running again and it all felt good.  I was happy to be running again.  Oh how wonderful that felt....to like running again!
So happy after a 16 mile training run!
Then came the Woodlands Marathon.  I was super confident all would go well.  Everything was perfect....my training, the weather, my head....everything.  Then is all started to unravel at mile 4 with no water.  So, it ended up being a bust and so so frustrating for me.  I was so over running races.  And, I took that very seriously until Memorial Day weekend.  For almost 3 months running was just for the sake of running.  With the exception of May, I ran whatever I wanted whenever it worked for me.  The Angel Run half marathon was a good run for me.  It was not perfect, but I ran well.  I did not run great, but well and I was happy when the race was over.  I had not experienced that feeling....after race joy....in a very long time!

So, now what.  I have run three races so far this year.  I have logged 921 miles with my highest month being February with 180 miles.  I feel ready to race again and to challenge myself.  I am getting a little tired of running just to run.  The desire to follow is plan is almost back.  This is all a good thing because I was crazy enough to register for my 4th marathon.  The BCS marathon according to their website....
Join us at 7:00am on December 8, 2013 for year 3 of what is currently the highest rated marathon in the state of Texas (marathonguide.com). You’ll have the opportunity to explore the Bryan/College Station community as well as experience the Aggie spirit while you run throughout the Texas A&M campus.
I have to admit that I am super excited to run this race.  My training begins in August.  I have decided to create my own plan this time.  I am taking full ownership of this race from start to finish.  We shall see what happens.  
I am also running a half marathon in October and I hope to run a few shorter distances throughout the fall.  And, I am trying to talk Drew into running a trail 5K with me in Vermont in August.  I think he will say yes! 
So, my goals for the next 6 months are to love running.  When it starts to feel too much like work, I am taking time off.  My other goal is to stay inside the mile I am running.  I spend too much time worrying about what is next.  Two goals is it.  That should be easy....ha!  Time will tell!!

1 comment: