Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Monday, July 18, 2016

Small Town America

We spent July 4th in Oriental, North Carolina.  Oriental is such a small town that if you blink you are through it.  It's not quite that bad, but it is small.  It is a cute little town right on the water with cute houses, shops, and nice people.  It is the perfect place to celebrate the 4th!

Friends asked if the kids could ride on the Republican float for the parade and they were so excited.  There was lots of squealing and yelling of "yes" when they were asked.  Last year I missed the parade because I was getting medicine for Samuel's injured foot.  This was my first experience and to say that it was unique would be an understatement.  I loved it and it was super fun watching the parade with Jack!

All ready for the parade
On the float

The parade will filled with silly small town things like decorated tractors, county beauty queens riding in cars, people throwing candy (Jack even got hit on the head with a lollipop!), and all these crazy motorized things like coolers...not joking!  Oriental probably has a population of 1,000, but the streets were lined with people and the festival was packed.  It was crazy and fun and hot!



He was a very serious parade watcher!





After the parade the kids ate all kinds of gross fair food, but enjoyed every second of it.  They shopped and spent more money than should be allowed.  All in all it was a great morning!  It was awesome to see an entire community dressed in red, white, and blue socializing together and having fun!  Nothing but smiles!





That night we went back to town for the concert and fireworks.  Last year we saw Brian Mayer at the fair and he was back again so I really wanted to go.  His sound is so country and Drew and I really enjoy his music.  I was happy to take Maya and Hanna to their first county music concert.  Elena danced right by the stage with the look of total awe on her face.  Perfect family fun filled with eating of more crap!

All I wanted was a hug and picture, but he was too hot!  He finally gave in and took the picture!


I do appreciate all the conveniences I have living in Houston.  Nothing is farther than 10 minutes from my house and I literally complain if I have to drive farther to a store.  But,  I am so thankful that my kiddos get to experience small town America in the summer.  It is so different and its own unique thing.  The patriotism being so close to Marine bases is evident everywhere.  The love of country and desire to make July 4th special is awesome.  July 4th is one of my favorite holidays and I am glad that my family and I can celebrate this wonderful country and our freedom in a story book town each summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment