Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Two halves and a whole

This weekend I had a running first for me.  I ran two half marathons.  Neither was a race.  I just ran around my neighborhood Saturday and Sunday morning for 13.1 miles.

I decided last week that I wanted to support my friend Susan in her quest to run two actual half marathons back to back.  She ran in Indy on Saturday and in Pittsburgh on Sunday.  She got medals and everything.  Despite having no reason to be nervous she was.  She ran with friends, but I wanted to support her from afar as well. 

This was the perfect thing for me to do and I didn't realize it until I was mid run Saturday morning.  I was so sad that I didn't get to run a marathon last fall.  My stupid stress fracture just messed up everything and a spring marathon just wasn't happening this year.    The last time I ran a marathon was one year ago tomorrow (5/4) in Pittsburgh with Susan. 

So, it seemed kind of fitting that I was running in support of her back to back 13.1's while I was running my own kind of marathon. 

Granted I had 24 hours rest in between so it obviously wasn't a marathon, but the mileage was.  At this point it was the best I could do and I was super happy about my decision to run 26.2 divided up this weekend.

I had to get up beyond early each day to fit in each run, but I did it.  I had to alter my usual weekly running plan, but I did that too.  I had to adjust several other areas of my life to make room for these runs and I did that too.  When something is important I always try to find a way to make it work.  5:20am wake-up calls were what made this happen this weekend because I had to be home by 8am each day....no wiggle room on that!
Saturday morning
The weather was perfect all weekend with lovely high 50's/low 60's for each run.  I ran a different "course" each day so I wouldn't get bored or compare my splits.  I wanted each day to be its own special run.  On Saturday I didn't want to give too much knowing I had to run long again on Sunday.  I ran a comfortable pace with no pushing my limits at all and finished in 1:57.28.  TodayI decided after two miles that I felt really good and would be running for a faster time.  I pushed the pace a little more, but nothing was ever challenging.  I finished this morning in 1:55.08.  I could not have been happier with how I felt each day and especially how I ran today. 
Sunday morning
I also couldn't be happier that I decided to do this.   I might just have to do this again a time or two during the summer because it was fun to challenge myself.  It is hard to run long like this with it just being me, myself, and I for two long days of running, but worth it.   I feel really fit at the moment and wish I had more races to test that, but I don't.  I get to spend the summer working toward being ready for my half in October and full in November.
Running with Susan!
Now I just have to say healthy and adjust to the crazy summer heat which I know is coming soon!

And, Susan did great on her races...inspiring as always Susan!

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome!! What a great way to support Susan. :) Great runs!

    ReplyDelete