Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Too much Rice Baseball....not for us!

There were 29 home Rice baseball games.  One was cancelled because of weather and not rescheduled.  Some or all of us attended 25 Rice baseball home games this year.  I still can't believe we only missed three games.   Samuel went to 26 games since he and I went to the game at Texas A&M.  Samuel and I went to the most games because we went to three just us.  I missed one game.  Drew missed the most because of that pesky thing called work...jeez Drew!  But, when it was a baseball weekend that was what we did and for the most part, we did it happily.  Elena was our biggest complainer...go figure coming from a 5 year old girl.  That is a lot of baseball. 
Welcome to Reckling Park

Our first family picture...game #1 vs. Texas

The season began February 13th.  Saturday was the last home game and regular season game.    Three months of watching lots and lots of baseball.  It doesn't seem like much looking back on it now, but what a huge commitment we made.

Our seats
When Drew and I decided to get season tickets, we figured that sometimes just the boys and friends would go.  Other times it would be me and the girls with friends.  That never happened.  It became something we did as a family and that was that.  Over the course of 28 games we developed quite the routine.  Living a very scheduled life works for us so naturally going to this many baseball games resulted in a loosey goosey schedule.   Fridays we always sat in our seats.  That was true for weekday games as well.   Saturday games we watched from the outfield hill.  Sunday games we split between our seats and the hill.  The kids always played by the Rice bullpen on Friday nights.  Saturday was the day for Kona Ice.  That was it.  We didn't eat at the ballpark (I think 3 times) because that would have cost a fortune.  Baseball on the cheap and for fun!

Each kiddo...even Elena to some degree...learned the name of all the players and position played.  Samuel made it his mission to get autographs from as many players as possible.  I suddenly became the mom who carried a sharpie and baseball with her at all times.  I mean really!  I think he was pretty close to achieving that goal.  He even got Andy Pettite's signature!  Each kiddo even had a favorite player which makes sense to me for Samuel, but for Elena especially I think that is funny. 


Baseball weather is not for wimps.  We sat through rain, cold, wind, and horrible heat.  Thank goodness we had our share of pretty weather as well!





Even though we didn't bring any friends with us, family did get to share our love of Rice baseball with us. 




After Saturday's game I asked the kids what they thought about going to all the games.    Each one said it was a fun experience.  That made me so happy because the original intent of getting season tickets was to have a family experience unlike anything else we have ever done.  I would say mission accomplished again.  Our five experience gifts were a total hit and I am so thankful for that! 


In general they thought it took up lots of time, but was worth it.  No one had any real complaints.   No one liked to see them lose especially Samuel.  For him, being our most competitive child, watching Rice lose and win was good for him.  He has learned lots about the game this season....the good, the frustrating, the awesome, and the ugly.  Everyone said they would do it again without hesitation.  Honestly, I was slightly surprised by this.  But, for me that means everyone enjoyed going and made good memories.  Again, I could not be more thankful!


 
I personally would do it again.  Packing dinner to eat in the car....worth it.  Watching the kids learn about the game....worth it.  Spending individual time with Samuel....worth it.  Watching the boys experience working at the ball park....worth it.  Having Samuel participate in a post game clinic with some of the coaches and players....worth it.  Having uninterrupted time (except for cheering) with my family....worth it! 

Rice won its 20th consecutive regular season championship Saturday afternoon. 

We might have one more opportunity to watch some games this year and I hope it happens.   These memories are priceless!






Last family picture....vs. FIU
Leaving for the last time

No comments:

Post a Comment