Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Some clarification on this 21st anniversary

This morning I spent forever looking at lots and lots of pictures of me and Drew. It was fun to see all the things we have done and places we have gone in the past two decades.  Jeez...that makes us sound really old!  I was on a mad search to find the "perfect" pictures of us because today is the anniversary of the day we met.

I made this collage and posted it to Facebook and Instagram.  I don't think many people know that this is not our wedding anniversary.  That is on Flag Day.  Today is just the day we met, but it is a huge day for us.  We celebrate today in some way every year and always have.  It was the start of our lives together because we both admit we knew something special could....would maybe happen. We all know it did.
I think the top left picture was taken the summer after we met.  I wish I knew for sure, but I do know we were young!  The next was one taken in 1999 in Austin.  The bottom left was taken in 2011 at a NAM benefit.  The bottom right was taken in 2006 in Breckenridge, CO.  The top right is my all-time favorite picture of us taken by Emma last November.

I was 18 and had been at college for three weeks when I met Drew at a party.  He was 20 and a junior.  He talked about things I didn't have much interest in, but I still liked him.  Drew is just likeable and those eyes.  I still love those blue eyes...more now than then.  

As with any relationship, not every moment has been easy, fun, or even kind.  But, love and dedication to each other has brought us through each and every hardship.  I have loved the song "These are the Days" by Van Morrison forever.  "These are the Days" is engraved on our wedding bands.  If you have never listened to this song, do it now! Twenty-one years together sure feels like this song and so does the future...

"These Are The Days"
These are the days of the endless summer
These are the days, the time is now
There is no past, there's only future
There's only here, there's only now

Oh your smiling face, your gracious presence
The fires of spring are kindling bright
Oh the radiant heart and the song of glory
Crying freedom in the night

These are the days by the sparkling river
His timely grace and our treasured find
This is the love of the one magician
Turned the water into wine

These are days of the endless dancing and the
Long walks on the summer night
These are the days of the true romancing
When I'm holding you oh, so tight

These are the days by the sparkling river
His timely grace and our treasured find
This is the love of the one great magician
Turned water into wine

These are the days now that we must savour
And we must enjoy as we can
These are the days that will last forever
You've got to hold them in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment