Our Daily (G)races

Training to be the best wife, mom, runner, and person I can be each and every day....

Friday, January 24, 2014

My perfect marathon....it was all meant to be

It has almost been a week since the perfect marathon and I am still smiling about several times a day.  I looked at my splits quickly after the race, but my brain was too tired to really digest what I was seeing.  I finally looked at them again yesterday.  And, if I am being totally honest with myself, I kind of wish they were better.  But, overall, I am still so super happy that I ran each step and never ran a 9 minute mile or slower.  That is a first for me and I am proud of that accomplishment. 

So, to achieve my 3:49.49, which is an 8:45/mile pace, I ran the following:

Miles 1-5:  8:57, 8:45, 8:47, 8:46, 8:52
Miles 6-10:  8:41, 8:38, 8:45, 8:44, 8:43
Miles 11-15: 8:35, 8:45, 8:42, 8:49, 8:43
Miles 16-20:  8:43, 8:39, 8:37. 8:48, 8:43
Miles 21-25:  8:42, 8:42, 8:44, 8:45, 8:57
The last 1.26 miles:  8:55 and an 8:26 pace for the last 0.26 miles

I was emailed some fun facts from the race that I don't want to forget either.  7048 people ran the marathon with 37% being women and 63% being male runners.   I finished before 73% of the male runners.  I finished in 1571st place.  I was the 369th woman to finish out of 2271. I was the 89th finisher out of 426 in my age group, which is one of the most competitive age groups...sucks for me.   And, being totally amazing is that I was almost to mile 15 when the winner finished in 2:07....crazy!!!!  That is nutty fast!

The other thing I thought about this week was the song that was playing when I turned off my music.  I listened to my music on and off during the race, but I did not really hear it much.  I have come to realize that I like the distraction of music to be available when I need it, but I pick songs that fade into the background.  None of the songs on my playlist are loud and get you moving kind of music.  It is music that keeps me calm and allows me to focus on running.  I have also come to realize that when I hear the music it is for a reason.  The lyrics at that moment are meant to encourage me.  The song playing during mile 25 was "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri.  This song has absolutely nothing to do with running.  But, what I remember clearly hearing kept me moving forward....

"I will be brave.  I will not let anything take away what is standing in front of me.  Every breath , every hour has come to this.  One step closer."

Yep...all my training, the early hours, the pain, the icing, the frustration....it was all so close to being realized.  I don't organize my playlists to play a certain song at a particular time.  I believe the right one will play when I need it.  Well, my belief held true on Sunday!

This was a confidence boosting marathon without a doubt.  I really think I can lower my time at some point in the future if I stay healthy and train smart.  Now, I just have to get my hip on board with this plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment